I was jolted awake by the piercing sound of my sidekick alarm, it is 10:00am. As I hit the off button and throw back the duvet over my heavy head. I realized I was greeted by the smell of a beautiful August. It is a Saturday morning, the surrounding was slightly quiet. There were no birds chirping sweet morning melodies, the air conditioner doesn’t whir, the air-purifier continue puffing out clean air.
For a moment, I can’t get enough energy to shift my body. My arms and legs were outstretched, I lie starfish wide under my yellow bed sheet, wondering why I wasn’t served with a breakfast tray decorated with dewy rosebud in a vase, a shot of fresh-squeezed orange juice, poached egg on toast muffin and pancakes covered with maple syrup. I guess, I am not feeling like myself these days.
Sigh, it is already August.
Each year we get at least one good wish – it is the day you put on the perfect dress adorned with glorious sequins and blow over the candles on the birthday cake. Doesn’t matter how old we are, how tough we are or how sensitive we are. Deep down inside, we all believe in wishes - close your eyes, toss the coin into the wishing fountain; over the dazzling shooting stars; on eyelashes or in your night prayers. Some believe even more. Every now and then we wish one of those many wishes will come true. So, what if it did? Do we appreciate it or do we continue to have a long list of other wishes to be wished?
No matter what time of year or day we are in, we always wish and the list keeps on going. We, however never wish for easy stuff. We wish for better and bigger things. Things that are ambitious, and sometimes quite impossible. In fact, we wish because we feel insecure, we’re scared, we need help, we need something to believe in. Knowing it is beyond our reach, we still wish because sometimes miracles do happen. After all, we are only humans.
After a long and mentally exhausting thought, I decided to put aside all the ambitious, out of reach wishes. No designer merchandise, no new gadget, no plane tickets, no truckloadfullwithhothunks, no reviving the dead.
My wish is simple this year, a dinner with him, a long lost friend. I know I never want to see you again but I want to tell you things are different this time.
This gift will be as good as all the gifts above.
If you truly believe, wishes do come true.
1 comments:
Wow, incredibly well written. I could sit down and read a book of your writing. :o) You know me from SW by the way. :o)
Post a Comment